RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 27, 2024, 10:26:12 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: It's not the size of the collection, it's how you store it!

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Video Game Generation | Harder than hell 0 Members and 4 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Harder than hell  (Read 5011 times)
Cobra
Donor
Australia

WWW Stats
« on: October 26, 2007, 07:06:24 PM »

What is the most difficult game everyone has ever played, how frustrating was it?
Difficulty of games is not often documented about games, so I'm curious to see the results.

For me this title would have to be Hellnight.
A first person game in which you are defenceless, and getting chased by a creature that will kill you upon contact. While there is only the one creature after you, there are multiple paths as with most dungeon like crawlers. This is where it gets hard. So you can't come in contact with this creature, and yet there are dead ends. So wind up at a dead end, and chances are you then just have to wait until you get killed since you can't go back past this creature. Also think you can just keep running flat out? Think again, as your character will tire out.

This game was bloody hard and I didn't get overly far in it... that being said I now feel like playing it again to see if I can actually get further..... but may just avoid going through the frustration.

Tondog
:3
RFG Friend
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2007, 07:28:16 PM »

Skullmonkeys is fucking difficult as well. One touch by any enemy without the halo surrounding you means instant death.

[img width=550 height=125]http://mypsn.eu.playstation.com/psn/profile/Tondog.png[/img]
Black Flower Music Podcast - Like that annoying elitist hipster guy you know, except in podcast form.
Follow me on Twitter
Tynstar
Achievement Whore
DB Editor
United States

Stats
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2007, 02:11:46 AM »

The only one I can think of right off the top pf my head is Kid Icarus. That game is damn hard.

shoes23
Legendary AFK'er
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2007, 10:59:39 PM »

Silver Surfer for the NES is one of the more difficult games I've ever played.  It is both a horizontal and verticle shooter and one hit means death.  The surfer is just too big and moves too slow to avoid enough enemy fire.  I've never seen someone last more than 2 minutes in this game.  It deserves the difficult rap it receives.

www.questmarker.net
[img width=468 height=60]http://www.rfgeneration.com/images/banners/generated/collection/shoes23.png[/img]
Izret101
Postmaster General; Wielder of the Mighty Banhammer
Director
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2007, 01:46:08 AM »

Skullmonkeys is fucking difficult as well. One touch by any enemy without the halo surrounding you means instant death.

Game kicks major ass. Thanks for the reminder. I need to pick this up.

Haven't played either of the NES games but i'll have to check them out too. Especially Silver Surfer. I <3 hori/vert shooters

hardart
Memorex VIS
United Kingdom

Stats
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2007, 03:50:40 AM »

when i was a kid, i only had 5 games for the nes. and gremlins 2 was the only one i couldnt complete. i keep meaning to play it all the way through but never seem to have the time. i will try it one day though
James
King of Waffle
Donor
United Kingdom

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2007, 04:26:09 AM »

Dragon's Lair on the NES. It's so hard that I had forgotten about it. The character starts off at a drawbridge of a castle. Move him over to the drawbridge and oh, woops! He fell through into the moat full of crocodiles. Ok, this time I'll try doing it without stopping. Nope! He still falls through. And from what I remember there were projectiles being thrown at him, so you couldn't get past the drawbridge at all.

Edit: I just played it again and finally got past the drawbridge, after umpteen attempts. It's a dragon that comes up from under the bridge, not crocodiles. The projectiles were a bat. When I got past it took another umpteen attempts to get a small way along the next room. It's just so clunky and unresponsive.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2007, 05:55:31 AM by James » Logged
NESman93
CD-i
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2008, 03:19:56 PM »

Im gonna have to say Metroid and Bigfoot on the NES

Metroid because i get lost so damn easy and keep dying.

Bigfoot because it just too hard. You gotta do so much dang button mashing by pressing left and right one after the other while holding down the b button for acceleration AND pressing the A button for shifting several times. The rallies you do are too hard.

Now you're playing with power! Nintendo Power!

Consoles on my wishlist: Mega Drive (Japan), Genesis Model 1, Super Famicom, Famicom, SNES 2, NES 2, Neo Geo AES, 360, Intellivision, ColecoVision, Atari 5200, Atari 7800, GameCube
BadEnoughDude
Couldn't save the savior from savoring
Donor
United States
Awards: The 100k Man

Stats
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2008, 03:55:41 PM »

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles for the NES. I don't think I knew anyone who ever beat that.
Cobra
Donor
Australia

WWW Stats
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2008, 05:26:32 PM »

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles for the NES. I don't think I knew anyone who ever beat that.
I loved that game.... but never finished it.

hXd
Algebraic!
SNES
United States

Stats
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2008, 12:46:31 AM »

As far as games that really make me want to break things my vote would have to go to Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee. That game had some REALLY challenging puzzles in it. Oh, and Intelligent Qube, that game was hard as hell.

Speedy_NES
NES
RFG Friend
Belgium

Stats
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2008, 01:38:05 AM »

Dragon's Lair on the NES. It's so hard that I had forgotten about it. The character starts off at a drawbridge of a castle. Move him over to the drawbridge and oh, woops! He fell through into the moat full of crocodiles. Ok, this time I'll try doing it without stopping. Nope! He still falls through. And from what I remember there were projectiles being thrown at him, so you couldn't get past the drawbridge at all.

Edit: I just played it again and finally got past the drawbridge, after umpteen attempts. It's a dragon that comes up from under the bridge, not crocodiles. The projectiles were a bat. When I got past it took another umpteen attempts to get a small way along the next room. It's just so clunky and unresponsive.
I couldn't agree more, that game is tough!!  I also gave up trying in the last part of the 2nd screen. 

[img width=406 height=60]http://www.rfgeneration.com/yabbattach/lordnep.gif[/img]
jcalder8
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2008, 11:32:56 AM »

Silver Surfer for the NES is one of the more difficult games I've ever played.  It is both a horizontal and verticle shooter and one hit means death.  The surfer is just too big and moves too slow to avoid enough enemy fire.  I've never seen someone last more than 2 minutes in this game.  It deserves the difficult rap it receives.
Sliver Surfer was the first one that came to my mind. I rented it and tried it with a game genie and I still couldn't beat it.
shaggy
RFG Emperor
United States

Stats
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2008, 11:39:57 AM »

That game is fucking hard as hell  but I actually did beat it....once.  The last level is hard as hell.  If you can get to Shredder you need to beat him on your first try or you won't have enough health to beat him after that.  I love the game so much but man was it TOUGH!!  Battletoads is another hard game.

NES cart only collection - 87% complete.
SMS set complete!
Cobra
Donor
Australia

WWW Stats
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2008, 02:53:23 PM »

I managed to beat Battletoads on the MegaDrive, but apparently the difficulty is slightly toned down in that version so I'll have to try and conquer the NES original sometime. That being said, the Amiga CD 32 version is by far the hardest as the controls are crippled in it with the jump button being the same as the attack button, except you jump when you push a direction and the button.... despite how many other buttons the control has...
 swear

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length