RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 29, 2024, 03:11:34 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: It's not the size of the collection, it's how you store it!

RF Generation Message Board | Collecting | Trophies From the Hunt | Big NES Score! 0 Members and 5 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Big NES Score!  (Read 3337 times)
tommyg
Tiger Gizmondo

Stats
« on: March 13, 2006, 06:21:02 PM »

I have had  a few small scores at  the goodwill  before. There was the time I picked up a super NES and an NES for 7 bucks each. There was the time I found two boxed Zinger joysticks and a few boxed colecovision games.  There were other times when it may have been just a few NES games or a few Sega Genesis games, even a few boxed intellivision games, but nothing in my history of treasure hunting could compare to what I came across last week:

I had just been to the Augusta ME goodwill the week before and I found a box and instructions to Nintendo's Tetris on the shelf. There was no game in it and when I took it up front to ask how much they wanted for the box and instructions the lady told me I could have it for free. That was cool and I came back later in the week and there was nothing new. So when my girlfriend suggested we go look and see if we could find any games at the thrift storeds I was not expecting much. We first went to the Salvation army store. It was my first time there and they had absolutely nothing! So we went from there over to goodwill.

At the goodwill I first looked in the cases because  once in a while they will put something good in there. I still regret not picking up the sega game gear system I once saw in one of the cases (which of course was gone the next time). Seeing nothing in those cases this visit, I headed to the shelf where I was most likely to find video games. They are usually mixed in on the same shelf as the VHS tapes.  Nothing particularly caught my eye right off just the usual sea of really bad children's tapes and Richard Simmons like excercise tapes. For some reason I felt the need to take a quick look around the room and then I saw them.

On a stand there was a wicker basket  with some familiar looking clear plastic cases. Yes! I hollered to my girlfriend and she spun around and we were just drawn to the stand. But wait there was another stand and another basket brimming with 8-bit gold!  Yes, this was to be a glorious day on the hunt! By now you are saying on with it Tommy what did you find in dem' there baskets of goodness?

All of these titles were marked 99 cents:

Here are some games I already had but they had instructions so I could hardle pass on them for a buck a piece:

Dr. Mario w instructions
Championship Bowling w instructions
Super Mario Bros 2  w instructions
Ballon Fight w instructions
Jordan vs. Bird w  instructions
Yoshi w. instructions

I'm sure none of these are blowing your collective skirts up yet but I'm far from done...

how about Mario is Missing w instructions and map
Kirby's Adventure  cartridge only
Mega Man 6 cartridge only

O.K. not too bad right? Well I have not listed the games that I did not already have yet!

StarTropics cartridge only
Rollerball cartridge only
T&C Surf Designs cartridge only
Vice Project Doom cartridge only
M.C. Kids cartridge only
Battletoads cartridge only

And it only keeps getting better from here on out:

Break Time The National Pool Tour w instructions
The Simpsons Bartman meets Radioactive Man w instructions
Little Nemo Dream Master w instructions
Yoshi's Cookie w instructions
Race America w instructions
Mario's Time Machine w instructions
DayDreamin' Davey w instructions

Oh yeah this is gettin' good!  Maybe you'd like some late run Taito goodness?   ninja

How about Panic Restaurant cartridge only
Little Samson cartridge only

And there it was the holy grail, and the thing that really made my afternoon!

Ladies and Gentlemen Bubble Bobble part 2 w instructions. No I am not talking about Rainbow Islands. The real Deal Bubble Bobble 2 right there for 99 cents.   Shocked

I also went back to the VHS shelf and  was glad I did because I also picked up a copy of Rad Gravity  Boxed with instructions.

Not too shabby for a days hunting. It was my first really big score at a goodwill and hopefully not the last.  pirate It was a milestone setting score, as it bumped me to well over the 250 mark for NES and also pushed me above 500 total games listed here. It also was too good to go undocumented so it gave me a great excuse to finally start posting here, so this was my very first post, hopefully of many more to come.  |D

two_scoop_steve
Sega Genesis
United States

Stats
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2006, 06:26:00 PM »

Man I can't wait till I hit gold like that but very nice.

Tynstar
Achievement Whore
DB Editor
United States

Stats
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2006, 06:58:48 PM »

Very very nice.

Welcome to the boards.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2006, 08:07:11 PM by tynstar » Logged

Izret101
Postmaster General; Wielder of the Mighty Banhammer
Director
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2006, 07:11:09 PM »

Welcome and congrats.
Thats one hell of a score Smiley

atari_wizard
Sega Master System
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2006, 02:08:22 AM »

Awesome! Totally makes up for the prior weeks when everything was dry.

Have you played Pitfall II today?

[img width=468 height=60]http://www.rfgeneration.com/images/banners/generated/collection/atari_wizard.png[/img]
Speedy_NES
NES
RFG Friend
Belgium

Stats
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2006, 03:22:15 AM »

Sweet score man!!  I would love to find a nice lot of good & rare NES games like that in the wild, too Wink

also welcome to the boards!

[img width=406 height=60]http://www.rfgeneration.com/yabbattach/lordnep.gif[/img]
captain_nintendo
RFG Friend
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2006, 04:16:50 AM »

Nice score.

Welcome to the boards!

Dont forget to check out our collection tracking tool if you haven't allready Wink

shaggy
RFG Emperor
United States

Stats
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2006, 04:45:26 AM »

Holy shit!  nice find!  I need a day like that.  And all for .99!  Welcome to the boards, hombre!

NES cart only collection - 87% complete.
SMS set complete!
Mezmoron
RFG Friend

Stats
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2006, 04:59:10 AM »

Don't forget the Bubble Bobble Part 2 RFGeneration initiation fee to Mezmoron.  Oh and the Panic Restaurant initiation fee to Tynstar and the Little Samsom initiation fee to Shaggy.  Jk!  Welcome to the boards man!

Ken

[img width=468 height=60]http://www.rfgeneration.com/images/banners/generated/collection/Mezmoron.png[/img]
den68
loves White Castle!
DB Contributor

Stats
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2006, 05:04:44 AM »

scores like that make it worth all the stops that don't turn up a thing. way to go!

bum-man
RFG Friend
United States

Stats
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2006, 07:44:00 AM »

Nice find, It's that kinda score that keeps you going back for more!!

[img width=468 height=60]http://www.rfgeneration.com/PHP/banners.php?banner=collectionstats;user=bum-man[/img]
I need more room for all my $#!%
m3talst0rm
Jaguar CD
United States

Stats
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2006, 07:45:21 AM »

Nice find!  I can't believe there wasn't a Super Mario/Duck Hunt....that's all I can find at goodwill.
tommyg
Tiger Gizmondo

Stats
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2006, 08:01:08 AM »

It was almost surreal. I could not believe that it was actually real. At the time , I wasn't feeling very well  and  turns out I was running a fever. I almost had to smack myself to make sure I wasn't dreaming the whole thing.  

Most of the games came in those clear plastic cases with the nintendo logo on them.  It's like someone just up and got rid of a great collection, or just had no idea of the rarities they had.

shaggy
RFG Emperor
United States

Stats
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2006, 08:36:58 AM »

Don't forget the Bubble Bobble Part 2 RFGeneration initiation fee to Mezmoron.  Oh and the Panic Restaurant initiation fee to Tynstar and the Little Samsom initiation fee to Shaggy.  Jk!  Welcome to the boards man!

Ken

No he's not kidding.  I want my Little Samson.  And Day Dreamin' Davey in congradulations for my 400th post in this site!  :rock:

NES cart only collection - 87% complete.
SMS set complete!
tholly
RFG Friend
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2006, 01:43:34 PM »

nice score....congrats...

Collection Pics--Excel Collection Spreadsheet--XBox Live Gamertag: tholly1983 - PS3 Name: tholly - Wii Code: 6005 4631 6751 2174
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length