RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 29, 2024, 05:23:34 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Burgers from trash cans taste the best.

RF Generation Message Board | Collecting | Trophies From the Hunt | Top Loading NES....It's ALIVE!!! 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Top Loading NES....It's ALIVE!!!  (Read 1689 times)
m3talst0rm
Jaguar CD
United States

Stats
« on: March 04, 2006, 08:13:55 PM »

This past summer I happened upon a top-loading NES at a flea market...The guy sold it to me, telling me it didn't work, for only $2.  I take it home and, surprise surprise, it doesn't work.  So I put it in a box and forget about it....until today.  I thought I would hook it up again just to give it another shot...same thing.  It just acted like it wasnt getting power.  It wasn't showing anything on the TV.   Cry

So, I'm like "this sucks," and start fliping the powerswitch on and off....Nothing comes on the screen but suddenly smoke starts coming out the back of the console and I freak out and turn it off and unplug everything.  

After the smoke cleared I figure this thing is deffinately fried, but, for some reason I try the beast again, and, voila! It's ALIVE... laugh

It no longer smokes...but it does smell sort of weird....but it plays games flawlessly.  I just had an hour long play session of Fire and Ice and had no problems.

I guess I'm wondering if anyone has ever heard of a problem like this?  and I want to know if anyone has an opinion on operating this thing...Safe/Unsafe...that sort of thing. I am really exictied about finally having a toploader...but, at the same time, I don't want my house to burn down...I guess this is a confusing find.
Mezmoron
RFG Friend

Stats
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2006, 08:16:46 PM »

Hey, our washing machine did the same thing!  It works great now!  Hehehe

Ken

[img width=468 height=60]http://www.rfgeneration.com/images/banners/generated/collection/Mezmoron.png[/img]
atari_wizard
Sega Master System
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2006, 08:23:20 PM »

make sure you never leave it on, while you make a quick beer run to the store. lol. I've never had something like that to happen. I have had atari 2600 systems that were not supposed to work and I open it up and fix the connections and I have a fully working system. Great find and congrats on owning a Top Loader.

I have a non working Atari Jaguar that powers up, but doesn't show the picture clearly. Maybe you can work your magic on it for me. =)

Have you played Pitfall II today?

[img width=468 height=60]http://www.rfgeneration.com/images/banners/generated/collection/atari_wizard.png[/img]
m3talst0rm
Jaguar CD
United States

Stats
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2006, 08:38:12 PM »

Thanks, yeah I figured it wouldn't be safe to leave on....However, I hope it was just dust burning (?).  I don't know if that is a realistic diagnosis, but I like the sound of it!  
As for my "magic," I just concentrated real hard and turned it on and off a bunch...like a little kid would if something wasn't working right for them.  shrug :-[

Oh well, I paid 2 dollars for a smelly top loader...I am happy!!!  |D
johno590
Memorex VIS

WWW Stats
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2006, 06:29:35 PM »

If I were you, I'd take it apart and clean all the dust out.. maybe it's suffocating?  And give it a bath with a Magic Eraser!  Nintendo's need lovin' too!
« Last Edit: March 06, 2006, 06:31:22 PM by johno590 » Logged
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length